JOINT ACTION COMMITTEE OF STAFF ASSOCIATIONS(JAC)
Under Navodaya Vidyalaya Samiti
(All India Navodaya Vidyalaya Staff Association,All India Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya Principal’s forum, Navodaya Vidyalaya samiti Employees Welfare Association, All India Navodaya Vidyalaya Catering Assistants Association).
Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalaya,… Dist….. State.Pin …….
Ref.:.JAC/JNV/2012-13 Date: …/…./2013
Hon’ble Member of Parliament
Sub:- Implementation of GPF Cum Pension Scheme to the employees of
Navodaya Vidyalaya Samiti joined prior to 01/01/2004 ,request -reg
We have been appealing to the Government of India for nearly two decades regarding the implementation of GOI Pension Scheme for the employees of Navodaya Vidyalaya Samiti who joined the service before 1.1.2004. While 28 organizations under Govt of India established after Navodaya Vidyalaya samiti came into existence introduced or switched over from CPF to GPF cum Pension Scheme NVS employees have been unreasonably ignored till date. Hence we cannot help divulging the truth that the eligible staff of Navodaya Vidyalaya Samiti numbering around 17000 and their family members are living in utter desperation, uncertainty and anxiety as their future life is not secured by any economic means.
In the recent negotiation meeting held between the Govt of India representative and the representatives of JAC of staff association a positive gesture has been shown by the government. However at this crucial juncture as a people’s representative your support in this respect would make the task easier and facilitate a favourable governmental action.
Navodaya Vidyalaya staff are contributing to the education of the poor talented rural children of our country by devoting their entire service period within the walls of the school campus by working for 18 hours a day while being on duty practically round the clock. On account of the unique co-educational-residential nature of the institution we are bound to be on duty on Sundays and holidays,too.Thus we forced to sacrifice the social and familial contacts. It is a pity that after rendering such a valuable service to the nation’s development through daily rigours we will be left high and dry on retirement.
We are given to understand that Government is obliged to provide social and economic security to retired persons. Pension is every retiree’s Fundamental right.The Senior Citizen needs to be treated with dignity, courtesy befitting their age especially after retiring from an institution like JNVs which strive hard for the educational needs of the talented children of rural India. When the staff of KVS,NIOS,Tibetan Schools,Sainik Schools etc enjoy GOI Pension it is bewildering to know why NVS staff are discriminated despite strong recommendations of high powered parliamentary standing committees and several other factors.
it is an undeniable fact that Pension is not a bounty nor a matter of grace. It is not an ex-gratia payment, but a payment for past service rendered. It is a social welfare measure rendering Socio-economic justice to those who in the hey days of their life, ceaselessly toiled for their employers on assurance that in their old age, they would not be left in lurch. Pension is therefore deferred wages. Pension is the statutory, inalienable and legally enforceable right and it had been earned by the sweat of my brow during several years of service to the nation’s downtrodden rural children.
The claim for GPF cum Pension for the employees of Navodaya Vidyalayas earn great significance due to the fact that they are the only educational institutions with such special objectives like national integration through the policy of migration, advanced technology aided education to rural children to eliminate urban rural disparity in providing opportunity for education, all-round development of children,pace setting centres of excellence etc.
The justifications we enlist hereinafter irrefutably corroborate that there is no reason to deny our demand for GPF cum Pension
1. The Government of India has extended the pay structure and other service conditions to the employees of Navodaya Vidyalaya Samiti at par with other central Government employees. Navodaya Vidyalaya Samiti has also adopted mutantis-mutandis; Government India rules and regulation on service matters for its employees. This decision of the Executive Committee had been notified to all concerned vide No. F.6/1/92-NVS(Admn.) dated 30.03.1992 and accordingly NVS is following all Govt. of India Rules with regard to service conditions of its employees.
2. All Pay Commission recommendations and govt.rules and regulations are relevant to NVS staff at par with other Central Govt employees.Hence application of pension rules(1972) too.
3. Navodaya Vidyalaya Samiti had introduced contributory pension scheme during 1991 without allowing the employees to opt for GOI Pension. CPF is applicable to persons appointed on contract for a specified period, re-employed employees after retirement and those serving in scientific and technical organisation who enter service at a higher age and not for regular employees.
4. Introduction of New Pension Scheme is against the Policy of Pension as NPS cannot be introduced without substituting an existing Pension Scheme. As NVS does not have CCS pension introduction of NPS by substitution is against the established rules.
5. The parliamentary standing Committees 154,184 and 198 have strongly recommended the introduction of GOI Pension to employees of NVS and recorded its surprise and vehemence in discriminating NVS staff while staff of similar organisations with less credentials as INVs like KVS,NIOS,Central Tibetan Schools etc have been granted GOI Pension scheme.
6. Expert Committee constituted under the chairmanship of Shri.Y.N. Chaturvedi in June 2001 also recommended implementation of GOI Pension to NVS staff considering the national importance of the job the employees discharge.
7. It is to be emphasized that Navodaya Vidyalaya Samiti has been achieving excellent scholastic and non-scholastic achievements which is unparallel in the annals of the Indian education systems,More over JNVs act as pace setting institutions for the uplift of rural schools of every district.
8. IIT Kharagpur andIIT Bombay gave an option to all its employees to change over from CPF/CPG to GPC cum Pension cum Gratuity Scheme.NIT Kurukshetra has also been given GOI pension very recently,prior to which 5 departments of Inter University Councils including NAAC and Punjab University have also been given GOI pension scheme.Similar option can be given to NVS on account of the unque nature of these institutions.
9. Vide letter no.C-33011/10/81-vig. Dated May 19,1981 from Sri .M R Kolhatkar Joint Secretary, Ministry of Education & Culture had urged NVS alongwith all heads of Autonomous Organisations under Ministry of Education & Culture introduce provisions of the CCS(Pension)Rules 1972 in line with the Central Vigilance Commissions observation in order to curb corruption and prosecute corrupt employees after retirement.The same was reminded several times by CVO,MHRD with a request to introduce GOI pension in NVS by August 31,1995.
10. In the meetings held on 21st June and 15th November 2000 under the Chairmanship of Secretary (SE & HE) regarding extension of Pensionary benefits to the staff of Navodaya Vidyalaya Samiti & new IIT and IIMS NVS has been directed to implement GOI Pension to its employees.
11. The National Policy on education 1986 which engendered the establishment of Jawahar Navodaya Vidyalayas for educational progress of rural poor and promotion of three languale policy assures the eligibility of retirement benefits like GOI pension Scheme .
12. Since the Samiti has been provided 100% fund in form of grant-in-aid by the ministry of HRD the employees are eligible for pensionary benefits which are normally applicable to similar categories of employees in autonomous organisations of Government of India
13. It is submitted that the first two JNV’s were opened at Jhajjar and Amravati during 1985-86. Posts were sanctioned for the aforesaid schools by the Government on 28.10.1985. First instalment of Grant in Aid of Rs. 22.50 lakhs for meeting expenditure for these schools was also released by the Government on 28.10.1985. Thus, the posts for the JNV’s were also existing prior to 01.01.1986. In view of this fact, it is submitted that employees of JNV’s were covered under the provisions of the Office Memorandum dated 01.05.1987.
14. It is important to mention that as per DO letter No 11-35 dated 12.05.2010 addressed to Joint Secretary(SE&L)Ministry of HRD NVS had appointed an actuary to calculate the pension liability of employees who have joined NVS before 1.1.2004.As per the report NVS already has an accumulated fund of Rs. 249.89 crores from employer’s share which can be utilized for providing GPF cum Pension Scheme by the addition of fund as per the scenarios worked out by the actuary(ie, government provides for funding of Rs.105 cr for the next 15 years, Rs.80 cr.for 27 years and Rs.40Cr.on 28th year or the govt will meet the pension liabilities after 13 years.)
Sir, the employees of Navodaya Vidyalaya Samiti have represented the matter of implementation of GPF cum pension scheme to the government several times during the past decades. It is matter of grave concern to the employees and their families numbering not less than one lakh which can hardly be left unnoticed. The staff of NVS especially teachers who spend their whole life time educating the poor talented children of remote rural villages of our country is not less an important task than soldiers guarding our boarders. Since the nation’s development largely depends on the devoted and selfless work of the teachers the government cannot hold back in ensuring their social and economic security and help them to live with decency and dignity respecting their valuable work during the service period.
Hence we request your kind self to highlight our issue in the parliament taking into confidence fellow parliamentarians to whom similar representations have been submitted by NVS staff all over India and save our lives by persuading the Government to implement GPF cum Pension scheme to the employees of Navodaya Vidyalaya Samiti who have joined service before 01.01.2004.We shall be ever indebted to your great service to us who devote our lives to empower poor rural children.